Every spring, I can't help but fall in love with the Columbine! Our beloved state flower is amazing. Did you know:
- The name Columbine comes from the Latin word columba, meaning dove-like.
- The name Aquilegia came from the Latin word for eagle, perhaps because the petals look like eagle talons.
- Native Americans used this plant for medicinal purposes, including relieving heart problems and fevers.
- Columbine flowers represent seduction and anxious excitement.
- The Columbine flowers are edible; they have a sweet taste.
Plant a few of these beauties in the garden this year. FYI: The deer avoid them.